Better Business Basics is committed to providing quality services to you and this policy outlines our ongoing obligations to you in respect of how we manage your Personal and Business Information.
We have adopted the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) contained in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (the Privacy Act). The APPs govern the way in which we collect, use, disclose, store, secure and dispose of your Personal Information.
A copy of the Australian Privacy Principles may be obtained from the website of The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner at www.aoic.gov.au
What is Personal Information and why do we collect it?
Personal Information is information or an opinion that identifies an individual. Examples of Personal and Business Information we collect include, but are not limited to:
- Business name and contact details
- Name and contact details of business employees, associates &/or representatives
- Business Australian Business Numbers and Tax File Numbers
- Business bank account details (excluding passwords)
- Information on business requirements and processes
- Information on business software solutions and access details
- Electronic accounting files and electronic or hard copy business documentation
This Personal and Business Information is obtained in many ways including interviews, correspondence, by telephone and facsimile, by email, via our website www.betterbusinessbasics.com.au, from your website, from media and publications, from other publicly available sources, from cookies and from third parties. We don’t guarantee website links or policy of authorised third parties.
We collect your Personal and Business Information for the primary purpose of providing our services to you, providing information to our clients and marketing. We may also use your Personal and Business Information for secondary purposes closely related to the primary purpose, in circumstances where you would reasonably expect such use or disclosure. You may unsubscribe from our mailing/marketing lists at any time by contacting us in writing.
When we collect Personal and Business Information we will, where appropriate and where possible, explain to you why we are collecting the information and how we plan to use it.
Sensitive information is defined in the Privacy Act to include information or opinion about such things as an individual’s racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, membership of a political association, religious or philosophical beliefs, membership of a trade union or other professional body, criminal record or health information.
Sensitive information will be used by us only:
- For the primary purpose for which it was obtained
- For a secondary purpose that is directly related to the primary purpose
- With your consent; or where required or authorised by law.
Where reasonable and practicable to do so, we will collect your Personal Information only from you. However, in some circumstances we may be provided with information by third parties. In such a case we will take reasonable steps to ensure that you are made aware of the information provided to us by the third party.
Disclosure of Personal Information
Your Personal Information may be disclosed in a number of circumstances including the following:
- Third parties where you consent to the use or disclosure; and
- Where required or authorised by law.
In the course of the engaged services it may be necessary for us to disclose your Business Information to others such as:
- The Australian Taxation Office
- Government departments (i.e. Centrelink, WorkCover, Revenue SA)
- Financial Institutions
- External Service Providers (including, but not limited to accountant, solicitor, financial advisor/mentor)
- Government authorities and other organisations as required by law.
Should BBB be required to disclose information to a third party, your expressed consent would first be obtained.
Security of Personal Information
Your Personal Information is stored in a manner that reasonably protects it from misuse and loss and from unauthorized access, modification or disclosure.
When your Personal Information is no longer needed for the purpose for which it was obtained, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or permanently de-identify your Personal Information. However, most of the Personal Information is or will be stored in client files which will be kept by us for a minimum of 7 years.
Access to your Personal Information
You may access the Personal Information we hold about you and to update and/or correct it, subject to certain exceptions. Exceptions include:
- The request for access by the individual is frivolous or vexatious; or
- Providing access would unreasonably impact on the privacy of others; or
- Providing access would be unlawful; or
- Providing access would prejudice commercial negotiations between the individual and BBB.
If you wish to access your Personal Information, please contact us in writing.
Better Business Basics will not charge any fee for your access request, but may charge an administrative fee for providing a copy of your Personal Information.
In order to protect your Personal Information we may require identification from you before releasing the requested information.
If access is denied to an individual then written reasons will be provided outlining why access has been denied.
Maintaining the Quality of your Personal Information
It is important to us that your Personal Information is up to date. We will take reasonable steps to make sure that your Personal Information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. If you find that the information we have is not up to date or is inaccurate, please advise us as soon as practicable so we can update our records and ensure we can continue to provide quality services to you.
This Policy may change from time to time and is available on our website. This Privacy Statement was last revised in June 2023.
You can obtain further information on request about the way in which we manage the information that we hold or you can raise any privacy issues with us by contacting us through the following methods:
Contact Person: Annie Flannagan
Telephone: 1300 991 059
Head Office Post: ThincLab, 10 Pulteney Street, Adelaide, SA 5000